SailNet Community - View Single Post - New member/sailboat owner..
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012

bblument is on a distinguished road
Re: New member/sailboat owner..

Thanks for the reply/welcome, Caleb, and the link to the Pearson 26 specs at the other site. I had seen that already during our hunt for what we thought might be a good starter boat, but I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

I've gone back and forth trying to decide whether or not to tackle the keel boats prior to her first launch next season. Right now, the tally seems to be that most folks feel it would be safe to launch as is; there's very little "Pearson smile" visible (a gap in the seam between then hull and the keel), and six of the eight keel bolts, while rusty, are very solid. Even the two w/ questionable nuts (do NOT go there!!!!) seem to be pretty solid. Granted, I'd love to see NO rust or corrosion, but I don't think the keel's just going to fall off. If anyone reading this feels strongly that I'm incorrect, PLEASE say so. I have pictures of all eight keel bolts, along with a repair fiberglass repair that was done at one of the span that support the sole. Should I post them, either here or over in the maintenance section?

As far as our sailing locale, right now the soon-to-be-named boat is up in Chaumont, NY, on Lake Ontario, about an hour and forty minutes from our house. The plan is to learn to sail enough up there early next spring to sail/motor it down from there, via Oswego and the canal system, to Oneida Lake, where we'll store it on the southeast shore about 30 minutes from our house so we can get out there whenever we darn well feel like it!

Any folks in the area who are willing to coach a newbie, PLEASE drop me a line... musechaserpilot at yahoo dot com. If anyone would be willing to make the two-day trek from Chaumont to Oneida with me in May, I'll gladly provide beverages of your choice, decent provender, and an honorarium if requested. I'm a quick learner and am hoping that I'll be able to make the trip myself by that time, but I'm also not egotistical enough to know that for sure. Better safe than sorry.... I'm a private pilot, and I know enough to know that what you don't know can kill you. Not as fast in a sailboat, of course, but that doesn't mean I want to make bad decisions.

Thanks again for the reply. I am TRULY looking forward to this next journey of learning..

Best wishes to all,

Barry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook