SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dehumidifier in wet/rain PNW?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012

SV Glossa is on a distinguished road
Re: Dehumidifier in wet/rain PNW?

We do have shore power. My understanding is that we have two circuits, both at 30 amps of shore power right now. Like I mentioned in the original post - we just moved on a few months ago, this is our first 'fall/winter' and up till two weeks ago the weather was AMAZING.

So anyways - we just put up insulation (the silver supper bubble wrap type stuff) in the roof of the main cabin and the roof and sides of the V berth.

For heat we have been running a West Marine Model 9200 electric space heater that runs on shore power. We have a toaster over, dorm sized fridge, and an electric burner that we plug into shore power to cook with. So far, we have pretty much only been using it on setting '1' while we are awake and at the boat. It seems to be holding up for now, but if anyone has better ideas I am all for it.

We left the boat for about 48 hours and I was amazed by how 'dry' it was when we returned since it had been raining and their was no heat that entire time. I really feel like a big part of our problem is that we have 4 people sleeping full time on the boat - we all have to breath.

Also, if it makes a difference, we only have an outboard motor now, the inboard diesel went bad and was removed by the previous owner.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook