SailNet Community - View Single Post - Review of my season on Georgian Bay
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012

chamonix is on a distinguished road
Re: Review of my season on Georgian Bay

Next day (Sat.) it's time to move on to Parry Sound. Once on the SCR we have a choice of two routes. Down, around and back up Parry Island, or straight up the South channel. Checking the chart, the south channel is a lot shorter, but has some long narrow spots and there may be some depth issues. We haven't decided what route when we leave clear bay.
We wind our way back out of the Massasauga park and reach the narrow entrance. The wife has been at the bow for most of the trip, checking for rocks. As we approach the buoys I'm favoring the green buoy, because that's where both the charts and the chartplotter are telling me the deepest water is. Judi starts waving at me to go to port and I start turning, but it's to late. We get through the buoys but strike a rock on the way through. A check of the boat shows no effect to the boat. From the feel of it and lack of any problems it would seem that we just scraped across the top, but what an ugly feeling. Lucky I was going slow and Judi waved me to port or I think it could have been a lot worse. Still I'm pissed at the rock and pissed at myself, and letting the whole world know just what I think of that $%&*$@#, piece of ^$#@, #!%&^$#@!*&^% rock.
Still, it makes up my mind on which route to use. We've already hit a rock, damage has been done. No use being timid about it, South channel it is.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook