View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
Hi Randy.

You said you had a problem with a tenant who was doing exactly the same thing you are doing and wouldn't even rent to yourself. I'm really curious to know why that is? I totally respect your honesty about it and I don't mean this in an antagonistic way, but doesn't that strike you as being a little hypocritical?
Hi Dean,
I will agree, as at the time, I'm replacing the water tanks by building new fiberglass units... and I normally keep my boat in the marina where we own the Canvas and Upholstery Shop, but due to the work I need to do, I had to leave the marina and find a dock where the work would be approved to be done on the dock and the boat..
So in a way I've put myself in the place you speak of.. if work is to be done outside of the boat, I've found a "work" dock to do it on..
and awhile back I did have to do work on my car as the powersteering pump went out.. Now I've got a parking lot at my business, 3 homes I am in partnership with, and the home where I am keeping the boat at present, but I took the car to a friends ranch.. and the main reason was that I knew I would be creating a mess with oil all about and didnt want the mess where it didnt belong..

The reason I brought it up in the first place was, that liveaboards in a marina are like tenants in a home.. you have alot of good ones but because the rent is much lower for slip rental, you will get a lower class of people on average as liveaboards in a marina setting.. and that portion causes issues with all of us.. Its the one bad apple syndrome, and pretty soon, the farmers quit growing apples..
So in the marina setting, one of the factors may be, and I say "Maybe"
the rise in price for liveaboards is to weed-out the undesirables..