SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do I need to protect areas scratched on mast?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road
Re: Do I need to protect areas scratched on mast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcberoz View Post
No that's not a weld. Just some cellophane wrapped around the mast. As far as a compression tube, I was planning to use a nylon bushing. Drill one of the holes wide enough to accommodate the outside diameter of the bushing. The other end of the bushing would press against the inside wall of the mast. The bushing would allow me to tighten the bolt and nut. The spreader sockets would put load against the bushing and not the mast. All I need to do is have the bolt and its nut snug so that the spreader sockets don't wiggle about too much.

Thanks for info about the paint.
Marc
As much as it is a small boat I'd still be careful about compression strength of nylon v aluminium. There is considerable compression load at rest and especially from windward under sail. Depending on spreader bases you might be able to bore them out, install aluminum (or stainless) compression tube with threaded ends (I'm thinking something like Navtang used on rod rigging) that will clamp spreader bases against mast and also address compression load from spreader. Check SN forums for older advise on same subject or consult a rigger. Masts are expensive to replace, especially if you have secondary damage to deck, boat, sails, crew.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook