SailNet Community - View Single Post - A Sobering Realization
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: A Sobering Realization

Four years ago, when I was 61, bought my basket-case boat to renovate and sail. The year before that, I retired, relocated, and built a new house...I mean built, from the footings up...alone. The only help I needed was digging out some glacial erratics:-) We oldsters can "keep on ticking." Although not as strong or agile as I once was, I'm a hell of a lot better at making sane decisions and planning.

That said, I believe it is important to avoid being trapped into long-term plans, especially as it relates to sailing. I originally planned on circumnavigating but really lost my desire to do so. So I canned the idea without a second thought. I now use the boat when I feel the urge to do so without being wedded to any plan that's going to keep me trapped on the boat. One of the goals of being retired should be to enjoy life without being driven by some plan that may no longer make you happy. This is one of the dangers in owning a sailboat. Often fantasy differs from reality. It's probably wise to avoid making sailing plans that require burning bridges or getting in debt, or giving up other things that are not possible on a boat.