SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips for Living Aboard Catalina 27'
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012

biology is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips for Living Aboard Catalina 27'

I've done a lot of backpacking and alpine mountaineering and it's amazing how you can go for a week or so with just what you have on your back. That makes the space and stuff I keep aboard seem down right luxurious.

Clothes and what not are easy to shove places... or even fashion a line somewhere off to the side as a clothesline. I'm sure there's room in a 27' for that stuff. I think the main area that warrants good organization is the galley. I'd make sure you have adequate space for whatever pots/utensils you have. Also, make sure you stow food in dry places and away from odors. I saw some video online where someone stuffed a loaf of bread in a lower hatch and it came out smelling and tasting like diesel fumes. oops.

I think if the galley is well thought out then the rest of the space falls in place. It's like in so many regular homes that seem centered around the kitchen. I've seen quite a few videos on youtube regarding galley modifications to maximize counter and storage space. Such as, if you really don't need two burners you could swap out for a one burner and open up space for keeping the pots/pans next to the stove.

It's also about your taste and the things important to you. I NEED my coffee but I'm not a fan of instant, so aboard I use something that I originally bought for backpacking. It's an H2Joe.. I'm sure you can google it or find it on REI or other such website. It's fits into a standard 1L nalgene bottle. Fill it with grounds, fill the bottle with hot water, pop it in, wait about 4 minutes, then take the H2joe out and you've got fresh coffee. I use it at home all the time too... It's light, takes up hardly any space, doesn't use filters or electricity. Just provide hot water. It's about $12 and a nalgene is about $10. There are other compact french presses out there too if you'd prefer.

At any rate... there are lots of ways to get around limited space. I often come back from the backcountry and realize there's a lot of stuff in the house I should probably put on craigslist...

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook