SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orseay View Post
I'm 23 years old. My girlfriend and I are bored and looking for a tropical adventure.

I've come up with a few ideas but the one I'm most seriously looking into the feasibility of, is buying a sailboat and spending like 6-12mth just cruising down the Bahamas; gaining more experience along the way and heading further South towards the Turks & Caicos, Dominican, Puerto Rico, BVI's, St. Lucia, etc..

SO, the two biggest questions I have are:

- Can I find a comfortable, used sailboat - qualified for the trip - for under $20k, all in?(preferably closer to $15k).

- How long would it take/what would I have to do, to learn enough so that we could safely embark on the initial journey from Florida to Grand Bahama?

I'm thinking I could spend a solid month reading and researching the basics of sailing, then buy the boat in Florida and spend another few weeks/month practicing and learning on the water with someone locally. Then be ready to hit the 'road' with my girlfriend and our dog. Is this at all accurate or am I dreaming?

I'm a very optimistic person and although a bit naive perhaps, I'm pretty confident I can do this given the right advise and guidence.

Thanks so much for any and all input!

Cheers,

Owen
Shure you can !
I decided I wanted to fly so it only took a year to build my first lightplane and researched & read everything on flying & Bernoulli's theorem, then flew it !
Had a great time and liked it so much I built 2 more after that had Real Fun for years & Never had a pilot license ...

BUT I am shure 99% of other ppl in the world would of DIED doing the things I have done in my life .,, (I really believe that because I have meet Thousands of ppl & most belong on Jay Lenos Jaywalking bit!)