SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDChopper View Post
Shure you can !
I decided I wanted to fly so it only took a year to build my first lightplane.....

BUT I am shure 99% of other ppl in the world would of DIED.....
Directionally correct anyway. While amateur built aircraft comprise 10% of the US fleet, they account for 20% of fatal accidents. Also, 10% of amateur built accidents occur on the aircraft's very first flight. Data just released by the NTSB last year.

I am a huge supporter of homebuilts and the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association), but the amateur builders can do better.

Their proposed solution is better education, particularly on power systems, which are the most likely to fail in this category.

I think the same can be said for those that venture offshore without experience. Get as much education as you possibly can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook