SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for my first boat
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012

future sailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to future sailor
Re: Looking for my first boat

Thanks for the input guys. It's all very welcome. I'll be putting it to use. This is not something that I or we are going into with blind eyes and empty minds. I am trying to get all the info I can. It seems like with fiberglass that if stored properly the structure shouldn't degrade being on the dry. The only reason I'm asking about it is because I'm trying to see if buying a boat on the dry is fighting a losing battle. I don't want to get a good deal that turns out to be a bad deal. I'm not saying I am only thinking or wanting just one boat, but it's one that is on the list of lookers, if it's not a bad thing to get one from on land.
The gas vs diesel and explosion concerns. Is that mostly just a concern bc of the heat from the sun or possible leaks or is there something else I don't know about yet?
I would like to have a little racer/cruiser type boat to play on and learn to push limits on, but the boss is dead set on being off the grid and relaxing for a day or 3 at a time so that kind of puts a day boat on the shelf for now. I think we have determined that the boat needs to be trailer-able to take home and tinker with and go other places with, but I think with the need to be weekend friendly and passenger friendly, anything less than 24 might be a bit too tight. Is that correct?

Thanks again everyone and happy sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook