SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordo View Post
The OP stopped posting on this thread 3/7, the first day. Anyone know what happened?
Having just browsed through some of the posts, it's possible some of the comments turned him away.

As for sailing from Florida to the Bahamas, the shortest route is from Lake Worth to West End. It's about 65 miles. From there you can cruise the coast of Grand Bahama Island. You don't have to go far to find a harbor.

And as you gain confidence and experience, you can decide your next destination. As long as you plan well, pay close attention to the weather, and take your time, I think anyone with little experience can make the voyage safely. You just have to think safe. But certainly, get to know your boat first, then at least get an experienced sailor to come on board with you and teach you the basics before you go.

And to the cost of the boat, Cap'n Fatty circumnavigated the globe twice in a $3,000 boat. But he'll be the first to tell you that price left him with enough money to purchase a lot of safety equipment. Of course, you have to know how and when to use it too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook