SailNet Community - View Single Post - Removing Can Labels for roaches or bugs?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
Removing Can Labels for roaches or bugs?

OK, I've searched some recent threads on provisioning in order to find the answer to my title and no luck. It is clear that cans stored in damp places will lose labels, that a sharpie is good insurance for keeping track of what's inside. The other day in passing it was mentioned to my better half that "removing the labels is critical b/c the roaches eat the glue and there are eggs on the cans and the apocalypse is nigh, and solar flares will be our demise etc etc (ok i'm exaggerating in the latter two)" Now in 40 yrs of shopping and living at home roaches have not infested my pantry. The stores where I shop don't generally offer old tin-cans with ridges and paper labels anymore. I looked at many of the cans in our storage and they now have plastic/mylar-ish labels that are self adhesive--no yellow cakey glue, they just sort of stick to themselves as it wraps around (eureka 21st century technology). I know that corrugated cardboard from some deep third world country should not come aboard for obvious reasons.

Bottom-line are folks going through the effort of removing labels from cans in this day and age? Does anyone leave the labels and amazingly have a roach free boat like me?

Thoughts?
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook