SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Middle sea race

And this are the boats that interest us most: Not racing boats neither big and ugely expensive performance cruisers, but performance cruisers between 30 and 45ft, affordable boats and many that you can find already on the used market:

On this group the one that is leading is a J122 followed by a 40ft ILC racer ahead of an VOR60, a Swan 56, three class40 racers,

Lisa a 44.7 First is not far away, ahead of another class40 and Elusive a First 45 is very near to that 40class racer.

Libertine a Comet 45 is also close, ahead of another J122.

Further back, in another group, another VOR60 followed by a Comet 51.

Than a Xp44 side by side with a X41 racer, a J111, and another 40class racer.

Just a bit back, another J122.

Then another group, leaded by three boats very close: a Marina carbon 36, a Comet 45 and a Grand Soleil 43. Not very far away, very close, an Elan 350 and a Salona 44.

and then a lot of more boats behind, some big but not fast, like a Carter55 or a Bavaria 50 vision.

There are here some surprising results only possible because this was a race with weak winds, like it is not unusual on the Med and that does not give a big advantage to the bigger boats.

To register the incredible good performance of the first J122 and globally of all J122, the mediocre performance of the two Vor 60 and of many class40 racers and the good performance of an Elan 350.

That indicates that on these conditions boats with the type of hull based on 40class racers are poor performers while more narrow traditional boats perform better. We can see that the 40class racers, much lighter and built for racing have here a performance similar to a well sailed 40ft performance cruiser. I guess that a boat like the cruising Pogo, more heavier and with a lot less sail would have done a lot worst, I mean in real time.

I hope that J122 win in real time. It seems to me they deserve it

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook