SailNet Community - View Single Post - Training and Developing Crew
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012

ctl411 is on a distinguished road
Re: Training and Developing Crew

[QUOTE=Agri;938403]I don't really see the point in trying to force someone go learn all the vocab right up front. I've only been sailing for a couple of years and still don't know many of the correct terms, yet still manage to get the boat where I want to go. (I do know what the mainsheet is). Almost everyone I've sailed with to date has zero experience as well. When I want them to do something I just point at it and say "pull in that rope", "let out that line", ect... Terminology is irrelevant as long as they are doing the write action, as time goes on they will learn what your talking about. While they are performing the action you could then inform them what the name of the line is and next time they might have less of a dumb look on their face.

Another suggestion is get them to take a sailing course. They will learn a lot faster that way then being trained by you, for the simple reason that it removes the emotional asspect from the equation. Plus if they mess up something its not on your boat.

Depends on if you are counting on them as crew. Someone can get hurt if they don't understand. On my boat I tell people you can do as much as you want or nothing but I need to no this ahead of time not when I need something done. I solo my boat all the time so I don't need help but if I think I have it and don't that could lead to problems.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook