SailNet Community - View Single Post - Removing Can Labels for roaches or bugs?

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012   #3
hellosailor

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Removing Can Labels for roaches or bugs?

A number of supermarkets in the states (possibly all of the chains) do supposedly spray pesticide on all the stored canned goods. Coupla five years ago it made the news, with folks being reminded to wash their cans before opening them if they really wanted to be sure there was no pesticide tainting the can. I can't say if that's urban myth, but roaches are incredible critters, and yes, if the can has the usual "corrugations" in it, I could see a small roach slipping in there under the label, enjoying the glue, and laying eggs.

RFPITA to tear off all the labels though. Maybe do a reality check, peel some labels, look for eggs, either you'll get tired of looking for proof or you'll find it.

Never have actually seen a roach go under a can label, or found one under a can label, but then again...Maybe you could just autoclave all the cans in the pressure cooker? (G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook