SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Paulo,
Sorry old friend, bit of confusion caused by me re those last posts of mine. Suffice it to say I didn't take in the posts re the Hanse and went straight for the HR. Remember that I am not so concerned with the performance as you are and look more for acceptable comfort levels both inside and out. For that I feel the HR makes most sense, even over the Malo for me. That said, I would also much prefer either the Swede or XC over the Hanse.

If you remember we looked quite seriously at the previous generation Hanse 400 before we bought the Malo and to be frank it was our overall disappointment with the Hanse that pushed us towards Malo. At the time I'd have gone preferably for a Dehler 45, even over the Malo but there were none available even vaguely in our price range. Hanse for me is just too Ikea down below. Really poor quality fitout in every respect though I admit they have a wonderful layout, shame they make it out of papier mache. if all I wanted was a weekend cruiser that would not be embarassed around the buoys then I guess the Hanse would do but that is not my preference.

To clear something up re Malo .... I was referring to the Malo 43 not the 40. The 40 was (I think) the first of the new generation Malos, the successor to our own Malo 39. The Malo 43 is the last of the old school Malos, I guess a replacement must be due very soon. For me I think that a new generation Malo 43 would be a dream boat. everything our 39 has with a bit more performance and a bit more room down below.

As to the transom stern v reverse sheer ..... I confess that with the older boats I like the transom but with the wider backside of the new models it looks clumsy. The transom stern does however offer a lot more in the way of storage capacity in the lazarette.

Cheers

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook