SailNet Community - View Single Post - Live aboard Orange County, CA
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Live aboard Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjapanda3 View Post
Hey everyone I'm wanting to live aboard in the OC! I don't own a boat but I know people rent theirs out to people. I know how to sail and everything just not sure where to find a posting with ones for rent or anything. If you have any info on where I can find this info plz let me know thanks
I have heard of people asking to rent a boat to liveaboard, but never anyone actually finding someone to rent it to them. I would be very surprised if you could find someone willing to rent a sea worthy boat for long term. You might check with the charter companies, but they will likely want a couple hundred dollars a day.

That being said there are lots of boats big enough to live on for fairly little cash. They may need a little bit of work, or a lot. I have seen nice 30 foot boats that looked good from 20 feet go for well under $5,000. I am sure that is less than any rental would want as a deposit anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
I think that at some of the marinas it has become more of a "don't ask, don't tell" situation. If you make it obvious that you are living aboard, then you're in for trouble. If not, then you may get by. We could probably get by without any trouble.
I think you are right here. One place I went to the harbor master said, I do not allow live aboard, but I don't care if you spend a LOT of time on your boat. I won't say anything to anyone as long as you aren't parting all the time. But I am a professional, with nice clothes and a decent car. If I showed up with long hair and dirty clothes in a beater, I doubt I would have had that offer! Of course just a year earlier I had hair down to the middle of my back, but it was always clean, combed and pulled back. Many marinas have had problems with derelict boats and derelict owners. So the rules say you can't but if you present yourself well and keep a clean boat I think there are many harbors you would not have an issue with.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook