SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full vs partial battened main
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 10-25-2012 Thread Starter
okapi3

Re: Full vs partial battened main

Thanks everyone! Great info. First I'd like to apologize because I did the bad thing and posted a question before doing a search. I subsequently did do a Google search and came up with all sorts of info, comments, facts, fiction and opinions about full vs partial battens. To atone for my sin of premature interrogation I will offer the following link to a VERY interesting thread on Cruisers Forum re this subject. Be sure to read the posts by IslandPlanet. He is a commercial sailmaker who basically says that although he makes a lot more money selling (and repairing chafe on) full-batten mains, neither he nor any other sailmakers he knows have full battens on their yachts! He explains very eloquently why:

Full Batten Main or Partial - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

After all my research I have decided to go with 2 full battens at the top and 2 partial battens below that.

Regarding the positive reviews on the Rolly Tasker sails, thank you. I really appreciate some extra motivation to save myself $1500. (And they only charge $32 to ship it from Florida to Maryland!) But I will get a quote from UK Halsey too for thoroughness.

BTW, I have a Dutchman flaking system on my current rig which I kind of like, so I am planning to do the same on my new sail. National Sail Supply (Rolly Tasker) does not do Dutchman installations so I am planning to install the fairleads and tabs myself. I got the instructions from the Dutchman people and it doesn't sound too difficult.

Paul

Paul Cooper
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome