SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full vs partial battened main
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012

okapi3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Full vs partial battened main

Thanks everyone! Great info. First I'd like to apologize because I did the bad thing and posted a question before doing a search. I subsequently did do a Google search and came up with all sorts of info, comments, facts, fiction and opinions about full vs partial battens. To atone for my sin of premature interrogation I will offer the following link to a VERY interesting thread on Cruisers Forum re this subject. Be sure to read the posts by IslandPlanet. He is a commercial sailmaker who basically says that although he makes a lot more money selling (and repairing chafe on) full-batten mains, neither he nor any other sailmakers he knows have full battens on their yachts! He explains very eloquently why:

Full Batten Main or Partial - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

After all my research I have decided to go with 2 full battens at the top and 2 partial battens below that.

Regarding the positive reviews on the Rolly Tasker sails, thank you. I really appreciate some extra motivation to save myself $1500. (And they only charge $32 to ship it from Florida to Maryland!) But I will get a quote from UK Halsey too for thoroughness.

BTW, I have a Dutchman flaking system on my current rig which I kind of like, so I am planning to do the same on my new sail. National Sail Supply (Rolly Tasker) does not do Dutchman installations so I am planning to install the fairleads and tabs myself. I got the instructions from the Dutchman people and it doesn't sound too difficult.

Paul
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook