SailNet Community - View Single Post - Does DOW 795 ever cure, bond or dry?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012

anerussis is on a distinguished road
Re: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridajaxsailor View Post

I have been looking at several options, further, curious how you wrestled with the aluminum framing, if you did damage any sections, & did you replace it and how!

-JD
Did not re-use the frames - just surface mounted the plexi using automotive tape, Dow 795 and few screws. Have posted my procedure. The windows look good however a bit bothersome that the silicone and tape lines can be seen on close inspection. The Dow 795 compared to regular silicone is easy to work with in that it doesn't seem to be as sticky and takes a very long time to skin over. Another poster has advised that it needs moisture to cure which seems to explain why it didn't cure between my scrap plexi test pieces. However this is not mentioned anywhere on the tube instructions etc. I am wondering that if this stuff doesn't cure unless it comes in contact with moisture would it start runing between the plexi and the fiberglass under a hot summer sun.