SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012

opc11 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Hi all,

I continue to follow this fantastic thread in lurk mode. So much to be gained here. I hope I can contribute some day. Special thanks to Paulo and the other regulars.

Regarding interiors, excuse me if this is a stupid question, but the thought arises.....I assume much of even higher end boats' interior surfaces consist of laminated wood trim on less expensive backing board of some sorts (marine grade plywood, etc.). Of course there's still a need for solid wood in high traffic/impact areas.

If one is ok w/ laminated wood for much of the interior surfaces, why not choose something other than plywood as the backing surface? I mean, why not "laminate" (choose whatever process you wish to affix to surfaces) the same really nice wood trim to something that is lighter and more resistant to water damage vs wood. Why not affix it to fiberglass or some structured, lightweight, impervious to water damage type surface? Of course you'd still likely use solid wood in certain areas, but why not have the best of both worlds: beautiful wood fascia while minimizing weight and avoiding the issues associated w/ wood?

Regards,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook