SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Left Cape May,NJ this morning on the rising tide , Actually before the rising tide as I needed time to get down the canal and into the bay. So at 10 am we split for CHesapeake City .
Chesapeake City is a nice little town with plenty of friendly people (at least the last 3 stops) . We got here in the dark about 1030pm and anchored in the man made anchorage basin.
I finaly got the new BBB anchor chain wet and used the claw anchor and the simpson Lawrence Manual windlass a very nice gentleman gave me a couple years back. ( Thanks Hampton) It works like a dream ! now no cartio after breakfast every morning pulling up a 50lb claw and 100' of 5/16 chain ! whew ! won't miss that.
It was a long motor up the Delaware 11-12 hours . I tried every sail combo I had, even the Spinaker, but there just wasn't any wind. The good part was - nice flat ride.
3/4 of the way up a beautiful 45' 1989 Morgan passes me , And to my suprise starts hollerin' my name as the pass ! who is it but an old cruising aquaintence, what are the odds ?
Of course after seeing the morgan I'm even more bummed with my Buccaneer. With the tide pushing the bucc. and no wind to sail her she wallows all over the place and constantly tries to broach and learches to the side if you go forward, really making stearing a chore. Sails ok but doesn't like down wind, oh well.
With the potential storm approaching we'll probably make for cover soon.
In the mean time I got a few maintinence issues to do and of course the crew wants to check out the town and look in on a few local aquaintances they met in previous trips here.People here have always been so nice to ushere, they make us feel welcomed, we like that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook