SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thinking about living aboard
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Thinking about living aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
There are big differences in different areas of Florida. Something around $9/ft/month is not hard to find, but you might have an additional $100-$150/month liveaboard fee..
The big difference is rents here, a studio/one bedroom in a decent neighborhood starts at about a thousand a month plus utilities. VS $29 a foot for winter season and $65 a foot for summer season with no live aboard fees at either marina. With the OP's 30 foot boat it averages out to 235 a month only having to pay utilities for 6 months (winter) plus your boat payment. Factoring in a 250 month boat payment, I still have 500 a month to break even on maintenance/insurance/other costs a month. Now in my scenario I do have a longer commute in the winter, so that ads about a 100 a month for winter season. But I am looking for a job near the winter port as they pay a lot better than were I am now.

So your example is 420 a month for the same 30 footer and I am sure apartments are a lot less than a 1000 for a studio/one bedroom, so there really is not much savings once you factor in boat payment.

Of course you have the benefit of living on a boat! That is priceless. I have a hard time understanding the difference in costs at different marinas around me. One marina that is about 5 miles from the one quoted above is 95 a foot, has almost no parking and is right next to a bunch of bars. Not my cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook