SailNet Community - View Single Post - How many women here own their own boat?
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: How many women here own their own boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
When we were at the boat show I asked Pam Wall this kind of question. She said very few. She's very pro-women sailing and has helped many with buying and servicing their boats. But she told us few are the primary owners.

I was just wondering how many women here are the primary owners of their boat?

BTW, I'm not yet but I'm looking.

While I am married, "our" boat is clearly my wife's. We had another boat that was "mine" at the time we married but she didn't care for it all that much. (It didn't have two heads for starters, and when a woman's gotta go, she's gotta go NOW!) So, in a moment of weakness after one too many glasses of wine, I consented that if she could find a certain boat, she could buy it, assuming of course that she could not. She did, and did. I know the boat is hers as once it was relocated to Florida, she asked me when I could get "my" boat out of "our" slip so she could "park her boat" at "our" club. Needing 3 boats like a hole in the head, I finally sold my boat (we still have "her boat" and a little 12' sailing dinghy that my daughter informs me is "her boat"). When one of our lady slip neighbor's asked her how she could sit in the cockpit and read while I was working on the brightwork she responded "I'm management, he's labor". So it must be her boat, no?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
janice142 (11-01-2013)