SailNet Community - View Single Post - Post Survey Cost Estimates
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Re: Post Survey Cost Estimates

Awahl, congrats on the near purchase. What I can recommend is to ask other Endeavour owners if they have similar issues or any issues that are a concern. Do as much research as possible on that year and model. You never mentioned the price of the boat....less than 20k?

The repairs you mentioned do not seem to be all that critical. If the delamination was really bad the surveyor would or should have noted it as critical. How big are the spots? Spider cracks are nothing. Just use a dremel to clean out the cracks and fill them in with fiberglass or proper epoxy repair kit....they cost 20 bucks.

When I survey a boat I am usually quite hard on the survey for a few reasons. I want my client to know all the deffects and what needs immediate attention. Every little thing should be disclosed. Doesn't mean they all affect the integrity of the vessel or deams it non seaworthy. You can do most repairs as you go. Also, by disclosing everything it protects my ass. Your surveyor suggested that you have a self inflating raft mainly to protect his ass if something happens. I know more surveyors that spend more time in court than surveying.

So I'm going to assume your surveyor was hard on the boat, which is a very good thing. Go with your gut. If you like the boat and think you will enjoy working on her as much as sailing, then go for it. The Endeavours have a fairly good reputation.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook