SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
Hi all,

I continue to follow this fantastic thread in lurk mode. So much to be gained here. I hope I can contribute some day. Special thanks to Paulo and the other regulars.

Regarding interiors, excuse me if this is a stupid question, but the thought arises.....I assume much of even higher end boats' interior surfaces consist of laminated wood trim on less expensive backing board of some sorts (marine grade plywood, etc.). Of course there's still a need for solid wood in high traffic/impact areas.

If one is ok w/ laminated wood for much of the interior surfaces, why not choose something other than plywood as the backing surface? I mean, why not "laminate" (choose whatever process you wish to affix to surfaces) the same really nice wood trim to something that is lighter and more resistant to water damage vs wood. Why not affix it to fiberglass or some structured, lightweight, impervious to water damage type surface? Of course you'd still likely use solid wood in certain areas, but why not have the best of both worlds: beautiful wood fascia while minimizing weight and avoiding the issues associated w/ wood?

Regards,
Thanks, you are welcomed

The problem is that people just like the look of those wooden interiors that are reminiscent of old wooden boats. It happens the same with teak decks and even if many Americans and some Europeans will prefer the boats without that, even almost all Americans will prefer teak on the cockpit. Of course it has no advantage and increases weight and maintenance but boats are not only a rational thing.

Regarding what you say, that is widely used on offshore racing boats, in some performance cruisers and in many fast multihulls.

One of the brands that use it and sells a lot of boats is Pogo. Here the 10.50:

here the 12.50:

Pogo 12.50 , Chantier Naval Structures from Andreas Lindlahr on Vimeo.

Other cruising boats like the RM that is made with Plywood and epoxy use the same material (plywood) on the interior. The RM is also a big sales success for this type of boat.

Have a look of the interior of the RM 1200

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-26-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook