SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hauled Out & Marina Closes, What Happens?
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hauled Out & Marina Closes, What Happens?

Heck, if there are rumors, ask the owner/ operator what is going on. He may not be totally upfront, but he must be aware of the rumors. Ask him which bank holds the mortgage, I think the deed is a public document anyway. Keep or get receipts and or contracts, so you can show you don't owe any money, or that you are owed money. Call which ever state agency registers the boat and ask them. And I would make sure I had the title off the boat, just to be safe. I'd also circulate a list and get contact info from the other owners
I used to own a service station. You can execute a mechanic's lien and take possession of vehicles that owe you money, but it is a time consuming and frustrating process. At least in NJ you have to show that you made attempts to contact the owner. Took me two years to get title of a POS so I could junk it. The guy had it towed in for an estimate, and then disappeared. it Can be done, but not quickly in my opinion.
Lou
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook