SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast wiring strain relief
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mast wiring strain relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillia28 View Post
Again , thanks for the suggestions.
asdf38, that dorade box looks great. As not THAT expensive compared with new Dri Plugs, which are about +/- $50.00.
I am planning on all LED bulbs, except the deck light, but figure on using the original gauge wire for strength. I was also planning a loop at the top for extra wire wire ties to hold the weight. I saw this originally on sailing anarchy, but using braided dyneema, and running the wires through as a soft conduit. I thought the dyneems was overkill, and thought about the webbing. I am sure things will come up during installation.
Lou
Glad you like it. As for lighting, my suggestion: just go all LED. Good LED spreader lights (probably $100-$400 for a pair) are extremely bright with all the usual benefits of LED. If you're putting this much thought into now just get it done and you'll never think about those lights again.

Another comment, while a conduit doesn't actually support the wire it does provide significant strain relief indirectly by preventing the wire from swinging around in the mast, which a soft strain relief wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook