SailNet Community - View Single Post - How many women here own their own boat?
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012

Spirit of Freedom is on a distinguished road
Re: How many women here own their own boat?

Goodness! I didn't realize men were so sensitive and worried about being left out of women's conversations!! Female skippers/owners ARE a rarity...and we get treated different in the "real world" then male skippers/owners do. I can personally attest to it!! Sometimes a girl just wants to talk to other girls... I don't get offended when guys want to hang out with guys and do "guy talk"... I am new to SailNet, and was very pleased to discover herSailNet as I am usually the only women in the group!

Men and women DO look at the world, including sailing, very differently. And, as a former sailing instructor I know that they learn very differently---having taught women, men and couples. Hence the great idea of a mini-forum for women in an obviously male dominated sport/lifestyle.

But hey! If you want to discuss the best way to shave your legs on a boat without clogging up the sump pump, go ahead and jump in! Or, how to manage single-hand cruising when you lack height and upper body strength. Or how about how to approach mechanics, riggers, repair shops etc. that pre-suppose because you are a woman you don't really know much. How about a discussion of how to handle the men on the dock that watch you come in alone, make a perfect landing, and then have the nerve to ask you if your husband knows you have the boat out alone? (Seriously, that happened to me!) So jump on in, expose your feminine side and share! It's all good!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook