SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 22 Question regarding Swing Keel
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012

FtWorthSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 22 Question regarding Swing Keel

Im back..... Here is the latest on my 1980 Catalina 22. Last Saturday, I finished a whole day of solo-sailing in pretty strong winds. The local Sailing clubs were out and were conducting sailboat races. I sailed down there using only my Main however had the Genoa 150 connected and ready (should I get the courage to pull it up). With just the main up the winds were pulling my boat over pretty nicely.... couple of times, I felt I had to turn into the wind somewhat and dump the wind..... Later, I had either gotten brave or the wind died just a bit and pulled up the Genoa. It turned out to be a great day of sailing. short video at https://picasaweb.google.com/1081910...57706794624098

After I pulled the boat out of the water, I decided to spray the keel bolts with a healthy coating of WD40. What I found was a little upsetting. I was missing one bolt and the keel hangar was hanging down - held by the one remaining bolt - and it was LOOSE ! ! !

So, I ordered new keel hangar bolts from Catalina Direct and went up to the marina to replace all of them........ then, I noticed another problem. The hangars are upside down. Instead of the pivot assembly being inside the keel bunker, it is upside down and are outside the bunker. Apparently was done this way by the previous to the previous owner....... So, my question is, should I drop the keel and try to install the hangars correctly or should I just tighten the newly installed keel bolts and enjoy sailing until I have more time to drop the keel to correct this? What say you......??
R
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook