SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by APP Mode View Post
Did anyone of read the article on YACHTING MOUNTHLY November 2012, of different types of cockpits? What each one is best suited for?
Do you agree with what is written there?
Sorry mate. After signing that magazine for a long time (since the 80's) I given up about a year back. In my opinion they turned too much to the conservative side of boating. I guess they were going after the readers and sailors that in UK are pretty conservative and has they had on the same group a magazine with more modern views (Yachting world) it would not make sense targeting the same market. Now they seem to have separated the waters. I signed Yacht and Yachting instead. It seems to me that one is improving a lot.

For many months Yachting monthly did not test a single new boat. It seems that they went to far and that is changing but even on the last edition: A test on the Vancouver 27? A boat that Northshore stopped to build years ago because didn't sold a single boat for years? A boat designed 30 or 40 years ago?

Regarding cockpits I don't know what they say about it but cockpits are a function of the hull shape or the type of the boat and the interior options. Center cockpit boats don't have that cockpit because it is best (it is not) but because that's one of the ways to manage to put inside a big aft cabin.

Old boats had tiny cockpits because they used much narrow hulls and that's the space they got for it, boats based on solo racers have huge cockpits because the boats have an huge beam and all the beam brought aft.

Its the type of boat that is important, the cockpit comes with the territory and that is not an independent choice.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-27-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook