SailNet Community - View Single Post - Post Survey Cost Estimates
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012

awahl is on a distinguished road
Re: Post Survey Cost Estimates

Minnewaska, yes- I have the same concern. The boat was on the hard all this season, and apparently only taken out a couple of times last season. I have not seen the sails. The motor seems to run fine, although there were initial problems getting it started (fuel filter was clogged). These factors- and some other things that have come up point to a more laid-back maintenance style....

As to price; we're just under $21- which according to BoatUS value check and also BUC value- is about right for an average Great Lakes E32, however again based on the survey results- a bit high for this particular boat.

We can keep looking and put $30k into a nice clean Catalina 30 or similar (even less for an O'Day, Hunter)- or by this one and put $8-10k in it- and make it ours... That's the conundrum right now. She is a nice shippy sail boat and I like some other things about her (sea comfort, easy sail plan, decent appointments, roomy cockpit and side-decks).

The previous owner has offered to make some of the repairs -including the rudder. I'll factor that and some other things we discussed in the equation. I think it's one of those "judgement calls"- where there is no wrong or right decision...(which is in a way worse than a clear yes/no type decision...)-

... thanks to all again for your comments...!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook