SailNet Community - View Single Post - Post Survey Cost Estimates
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: Post Survey Cost Estimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by awahl View Post
Minnewaska, yes- I have the same concern. The boat was on the hard all this season, and apparently only taken out a couple of times last season. I have not seen the sails. The motor seems to run fine, although there were initial problems getting it started (fuel filter was clogged). These factors- and some other things that have come up point to a more laid-back maintenance style....

As to price; we're just under $21- which according to BoatUS value check and also BUC value- is about right for an average Great Lakes E32, however again based on the survey results- a bit high for this particular boat.

We can keep looking and put $30k into a nice clean Catalina 30 or similar (even less for an O'Day, Hunter)- or by this one and put $8-10k in it- and make it ours... That's the conundrum right now. She is a nice shippy sail boat and I like some other things about her (sea comfort, easy sail plan, decent appointments, roomy cockpit and side-decks).

The previous owner has offered to make some of the repairs -including the rudder. I'll factor that and some other things we discussed in the equation. I think it's one of those "judgement calls"- where there is no wrong or right decision...(which is in a way worse than a clear yes/no type decision...)-

... thanks to all again for your comments...!
I'm wondering what you offered and what the seller was asking before you got to 21K? I'm wondering if, since this is your first boat, you are aware of how much can be negotiated? BUC is a good place to start but not always a good place to end.

If you are not inclined to do work yourself, You might be better off negotiating a higher price for a newer boat. Having a yard work on a 30 year old boat might not be cost effective.

JMHO. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook