SailNet Community - View Single Post - Post Survey Cost Estimates
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Post Survey Cost Estimates

A friend of mine bought an Endeavor 32' about 6 years ago moving up from a Hunter 25.5 with an outboard. They got their 1980 model for $10K at an estate 'fire sale' (definitely on the cheaper side).
There were similar issues as your survey has found. A 2' x 2' section of the starboard deck, forward of the shrouds was cracked and a little soft: delaminated, but not badly.
The Beckson port lights (windows) are plastic and became brittle and are not suitable for open water, in my opinion.
The bilge was not "eat off of" clean and the fuel tank is way down in the bilge. Look into all the spaces that you normally do not see (behind the engine, anchor locker, bilge, behind electrical panel etc.). I agree that boats of this age will have rather nasty looking wiring due to previous owner (PO) add-ons here and there.

If your engine was hard to start it may be that the fuel in the tank is a bit dirty and needs to be cleaned or filtered.

I really like the Endeavor 32' for doing overnights on. My friend sails on the Chesapeake and I try to join him as often as I can. The cabin is spacious, the boat sails decently for a shoal draft model and it is just a wonderful platform.

Which engine is your prospective E 32' endowed with?

It gets very expensive if you have to hire 'professionals' to do all the work you want done so the advice to consider a boat that is kept in better condition is not invalid. The E 32 is a good boat though and you should try your best to negotiate your price downwards. If that does not work at first then walk away and check back in 2 or 3 months. The current owner may have a change of heart and just want "out" from the yard bills.

My $.02.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook