SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advise on Weight & Type of Anchor for Islander 37
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
Re: Advise on Weight & Type of Anchor for Islander 37

I should have specified -- the rudder was damaged in the storm. What happened, the boat broke free from it's morring. 2nd part of story, the boat keeled over (somewhat) when the tide went out. When the salvage crew righted the boat with air bags, the rudder was at a angle. The rudder was damaged, about 2 foot was busted off the bottom. I looked at the rudder on Monday. I had the yard master verify rudder travel as I ran the wheel through full travel (left/right). He did not see any sign of canting or anything wrong from a visual standpoint. I'm Not sure yet, the shaft may be bent. I will know this when I have time to check the rudder out (100%) at home. When I check it again, I'll straight edge & measure it as needed to verify condition. After removal, I'll determine if it's repairable or not. I have found -- 1 or 2 places that are highly recommended; will repair or replace the rudder for (est.) $ 1,000.00. I may do the job myself, capable of making/ repairing this rudder &, have a fully tooled shop.

Thanks for the Heads Up,

Avery
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook