SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advise on Weight & Type of Anchor for Islander 37
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
Re: Advise on Weight & Type of Anchor for Islander 37

I'm a aviation mechanic and built my own plane from plans in 1991. I did not realize that the Rudder was on boats were / or can be a Tuned Item. I'm going to try to find another I37MS owner and get rudder measurements. I did not pay attention to my rudder, to check if it had taper or is a straight run rudder from top to bottom.

So, I'm looking for another I-37 MS owner to let me know what the I37 rudder measurments are ____________ ? The boat needs to be out of water or measurement had been recorded before (when boat was in dry dock) otherwise it will be a little bit wet to get them (little joke).

I talked to the previous owner about the Rudder. He said, it's an effective Rudder, he had No complaint, including reverse. He said, he'd cut about 8 to 9 inches off the bottom. not return it to it's 100% size. I asked why, he said that the Rudder was always at risk with it's (nearly) 6 ft. draft. He was always at risk to hitting the bottom of the Rudder. The rudder was very effective and he had verified this (again) when he bought the boat in FL. He was caught in a storm back to Gulf Port, MS with a 50 knot winds and heavy sea conditions. I did not say anything but did get his point about the rudder at risk (6 ft.) and subject to getting hit all the time. I don't know if taking 8 or 9 inches off... was a good idea or Not ?!? I know in the aircraft repair world, I'd never be authorized to change one thing about the rudder (never) or anything else on a aircraft. However, aircraft have a fine line of balance (center of gravity & control response) and subject to crashing if you screw it up.

Information from yard master, he motored the boat home from Gulf Port to his yard in Biloxi with 2 feet busted off. He said, it worked OK, but he would not take it out in weather conditions. He thought that the boat would sail (motor) just fine to Panama City, FL. He said, I would save $$$ on the trucking expense and the cost of demasting the boat. I said, I would not chance it and wanted the boat 100% before it went anywhere.

So, I get your point and will make sure that the new rudder or repaired rudder is very close to the old rudders exact size & airfoil shape. I was sent a great article & picture of his new ( not for I37)rudder from two of the members, see my other post on needing a rudder repaired on Islander 37.

Avery

Last edited by HighFly_27; 10-27-2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: mistake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook