SailNet Community - View Single Post - Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???

I always have more trouble with the trailer than the boat. I've looked into loads of boat/trailer sales here and NONE of the trailers had working brakes, only a darn few had broken rusted brakes, and very few even had that square plate on the axle where brakes can be attached. All were of a size that required brakes on all axles.

This summer I purchased and rebuilt a Hunter 23 wing keel on a trailer with broken brakes and not a speck of wiring anywhere. After making the trailer legal and the boat usable I hauled it to the ocean.

After only having full keel boats, which sit flat on the trailer, I'll have to say that a small keel in the middle makes the boat want to hobby horse on the trailer when going over rough roads, which is about all I went on. Make sure to have very strong support at the bow and maybe something removable at the stern to overcome this problem. I also need more tongue weight, but can't move the axle any further back, so I need to move the bow support forward. I already cut out the guides to allow the boat as far forward as possible for the trip home last week.

Sounds like you are doing things right!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook