SailNet Community - View Single Post - Training and Developing Crew
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Re: Training and Developing Crew

I have taken many out and try to give them some hands on learning rather than just a passive boat ride.
Some have been very bright and keen to learn and take up sailing. Some enthusiastic but not the other things. Some it is just an interesting day out.
There actually is quite a bit to learn, using a tiller automatically ie reliably seems to take quite a while, let alone sail trim and watching other traffic and planning ahead.
Freezing and the brain going non operative when asked to do something is very common. Consequently I have found that one always needs to be watchful, and while explaining what needs to be done and checking out that it is understood helps at times as does practice there are times eg docking etc where it is best to do it oneself.
With a regular crew I suspect it is helpful to master one task at a time - there is a saying that it takes doing it about 30 times. So repetition of a limited range of ideas is helpful
Some are keen to learn and will do some reading etc, but I suspect many are not. But it sure makes life easier to have someone reliable competent and agile.
On the plus side I have nearly always enjoyed the pleasure most gain, but am not so sure the constant vigilance is relaxing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook