SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advise on Weight & Type of Anchor for Islander 37
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Advise on Weight & Type of Anchor for Islander 37

On my 35 foot 13000# boat, I have a 48# CQR, a 48# Bruce, a 25# CQR, and a smaller Danforth for a "lunch"anchor. My rode is 3/4" 3-strand nylon (have many hundreds of feet aboard) and a 60' 3/8" chain leader. I think the 3/8" chain is a must as are the over-sized anchors. There is no guesswork. They set, they hold. Screwing around with minimal sized ground gear is asking for trouble sooner or later. Next season I plan on buying a 45# Mantus and increasing to 200' of chain as well. Being able to sleep at night is important when you're cruising.

As far as a "storm" anchor, I always have my eye out for a Luke or equivalent "Fisherman's" type anchor for a good price. For odd grassy or rocky bottoms they work well. I used to have one on a previous boat. It saved my butt a couple of times. Wish I still had one. Probably a 75# would do on your boat.

Last edited by smurphny; 10-27-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: more
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook