SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Trouble With Columbias
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012

emoney is on a distinguished road
Re: The Trouble With Columbias

Let's say a guy, a "friend" of mine, for conversation sake, was looking at a Columbia 8.7. We'll say, again to keep the story flowing, that he doesn't have a 'lot' of sailing experience, having spent about a year on a 22 footer and then 6 months on a Newport 27'. Our subject, sees himself spending most of the time toying around in the Gulf of Mexico, with the Keys in his sights within a year, and possibly a hop over to the near Bahamas shortly after that. Within a group of folks crossing the jet stream, of course.

If this particular story unfolded, what should I....ahem...."the guy" look for in these boats? I've....he's.....read there were a few different builders of this particular vessel, and in this case, the possible boat is a 1976 vintage. Anything inherrent? Interesting looking keel configuration on these boats, how does she sail with a novice at the helm? If I were to assume these were sandwiched decks, with balsa, would I be correct? Thanks in advance and I'll pass along this info to my buddy. heh, heh, heh.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook