SailNet Community - View Single Post - Our Medical Experiences in Mexico
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012

tankersteve is on a distinguished road
Re: Our Medical Experiences in Mexico

I am in the military so I am the recipient of socialized medical care here in the United States. My wife recently had a significant surgery. It was handled expeditiously, outsourced to a top-notch surgeon in Nashville. No issues, but Tricare capped the payment to the doctors at approximately $9k. It was billed at $38k, so there must be a pretty significant markup.

We also lived in Canada for a year, as part of an exchange program. My younger daughter was born in Toronto. The experience was excellent. Our first doctor was an ass - we immediately requested a new ob/gyn and got one who was much more in tune with my wife's needs/desires (second birth).

Our first child was born in Germany. Not a great experience, but the quality of the care was very good. Still, setting the mood with candles in the delivery room was unique. We also visited a pediatric emergency room in Sicily once, and left after great care and didn't owe a cent.

We intend to head out in a few years when I retire, and are actively following threads like this, discussing the kind of care available in other countries in the Caribbean and Central America and Mexico. We have high expectations about the potential care we will receive.

While living in Korea several years ago, my wife saw a doctor on the economy on very short notice and received excellent care.

Americans need to get over the idea that we are always the best and everything is done the best way possible here. Our experience is that medical care isn't too shabby in lots of other countries, and while sometimes you need to manage expectations, often the care is just as good as, if not better than, the US.

Steve

Last edited by tankersteve; 10-28-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: addition and clarification
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook