SailNet Community - View Single Post - Destination recomendation
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012

Halcyon1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Destination recomendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by superiorvoyager View Post
I am looking for a recommendation for a Destination for a Bareboat charter with friends this winter. I am an RYA Offshore Yatch Master (1985) have chartered in the BVI, California,and Asia (years ago) and run a charter business on the Canadian North Shore of Lake Superior so I have the experience that way but I haven't done a lot of Chartering in different locations so don't know the areas (I worked off the coast of Africa in the 80's but don't think we will go there) It will be my wife and I (lots of experience) and another couple with very limited experience. What we are looking for is somewhere that is inexpensive but warm, good sailing and where we can also do some diving. I was thinking about Florida as it is inexpencive to fly there and only a 35 hour drive if we decide to go that way. But wonder what the costs would be for everything else. Basically looking for a good value on sailing and diving.
The suggestions so far are good, and there is no doubt that the Caribbean has excellent sailing and diving. The cost may be higher, but have you considered New Zealand or Oz? The Bay of Islands are great (NZ), however for superb diving then anywhere around the Barrier Reef would be fantastic...

Pete