SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Ok, so this morning I'm up early cause' I slept half the day yesterday -bored.
There was maybe 20 out of the N-NE no problem , got 2 anchors out and plenty of rhode and chain,good to go.
Aound 9am it starts to pick up a bit, still no problem plenty of swing room and room to my lee.
Then, it shifts more northernly and starts veering from a more NW direction. Well now Im in 2-3 boat lengths of a rocky lee shore and in front of the little creek bridge that flows into the anchorage. I start getting a little concerned and bail the dinghy as I stand on the swim platform the shore is uncomfortably close and a lee shore (got a problem w/ that) So, inside I go and our cabin girl "Marina" (8 years old) starts looking at me asking if everything is OK. I say sure honey, no problem. Mom's starting breakfast , wood stove's cranking heat. Generators running, charging,making ice for the cooler.She asks me again if everything is OK. I reasure her it is (as I nervously peer out the hatches and we swing and I feel the chain tighten and jerk) So , I decide to check the anchors. Up on deck for a cool morning shower. The all chain is taught, with the 45# Claw, the other rope rhode is loose (smaller Danforth type) , I start pulling to check the set. It's free, broke out (blood pressure spike). I haul in over 150' of rhode and chain (blood pressure maxin',heart rate at training level) I come back into the salon and make a command decision. "get on the Helm now (to the first (best) mate). We're moving, hauling anchor"
So, w/ first mate at the helm and specific instructions as to running course speed and reviewing hand signals we haul anchor and power to the free facedock , thankful there was space for us.
Now after de-fib, and a good breakfast we're tied along side w/ every cleat available.
Gotta wipe the crow off my face and I'm good. Comfort factor increased. now to pull the cockpit cushion out of my A. . . .
Might even sleep tonight.
After docking the fellow anchored next to me calls and asks how much room is there for his 45' morgan, as the forecast isn't looking any better and the wind is doing it's best to howl. I say bring it on in and I'll be there to catch a line or whatever you need.
Family safe=check. boat at dock=check, bar of soap to wash off egg=double check.
Does my Daughter know me or what, just can't fool that kid.
Thanks for your concern, now I'm a little more at ease.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook