SailNet Community - View Single Post - Halloween Hurricane
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road
Re: Halloween Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
There will not be a hurricane warning, not even for NYC. The 'new' NHC seemingly exists only to entertain graduate students in a lab class for meteorologists, not to warn ordinary people who foot the bill.

The Hurricane of '38 would probably not be called a hurricane today. Just asinine technicalities that make a distinction never made in the past. Likely there will no longer be "hurricanes" this far north...
Well, as a Canuck, my taxes don't support the NHC, but I sure use and appreciate their resources! And my taxes DO support the Canadian Hurricane Centre, even though we apparently don't get hurricanes this far north (guess I should ask for a tax rebate )! Whether it is called a hurricane, a post-tropical storm, a typhoon or a cyclone, I don't want to be unprepared for FORCE 12 conditions (what the Beaufort Scale defines as a HURRICANE). Yep, Beaufort makes no mention of storm's thermal engine source, just the kind of conditions: "Huge waves. Sea is completely white with foam and spray. Air is filled with driving spray, greatly reducing visibility...Very widespread damage to vegetation. Some windows may break; mobile homes and poorly constructed sheds and barns are damaged. Debris and unsecured objects are hurled about." Sounds like a hurricane to me. Maybe we should go back to using the Beaufort Scale and put up the those red flags with the black square!

BTW, here in Nova Scotia, more than 600 nautical miles NE of the Hurricane Sandy, we are getting easterly gales of 35 kt. - this is a huge storm!

Last edited by jimjazzdad; 10-29-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook