SailNet Community - View Single Post - in mast furling issues?
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: in mast furling issues?

Like any mechanical system on a boat, it will give you years of trouble free service with proper maintenance. I sail in a fresh water environment so I have less to take care of than salty sailors.

Think of it as a giant window shade. There is worm gear on the bottom with a bearing set top & bottom. An in-haul line wraps around the worm gear when you deploy the sail. The sail is pulled back into the mast when the in-haul line is pulled. Maintence is limited to flushing the bearing set regularly with fresh water to flush salt/contaminates and replacement of the in-haul line every couple of years. Leaving the vang loose, slightly ease main sheet and a slight upward angle on the boom make for easy operation. People that think they need to "lube" the bearing set with graphite or other material only create problems for themselves as these only trap contaminates.

I have never experienced a problem furling the main. I did have problems early on with deployment until I learned to keep a little tension on the out-haul while furling the main to get a tighter wrap inside the mast. (Plus the previous owner had used so much liquid graphite on the bearings that they were hard to turn without the main installed.

And your final question ... Yes, you can drop the main, when fully deployed, by releasing the tack from the furler and releasing the halyard.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Madison/Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook