SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Shoalfinder, a note of appreciation for your respectful attitude. We can analyze the event dispassionately and try to learn; that seems appropriate. Some seem intent on placing "blame" - appreciate that you are not one of them. We spent 3 days on the ship volunteering with them for their education mission when they were in Annapolis, and met many of the crew and the skipper. He's one of the two missing.

I did read where the skipper is one of two missing. While tragic, I can't help but believe that were it anyone else missing the skipper could not live with himself. I know I couldn't and I believe mose of us feel similarly. Perhaps this indicates he was the last off the ship after making sure all souls had made it onto the lifeboats. Costa Concordia, take note...

As to the timing to take the ship out, my understaning is they were heading back here to St. Pete trying to make a November 9 deadline. For a ship of this speed, I have to believe they set sail long before anyone knew what track the storm was going to take. Working ships are on schedules, and while you make every effort to be safe you can't sit idle just because there is a storm in the Atlantic. The reality is that there was no reason to take this storm very seriously until it had gotten past Cuba. Then it merged with another storm, and by time all this had happened the Bounty was already put to sea.

There are endless opinions that will be shared, but there is only one captain and we have to believe he made all the best decisions he could until he ran out of options.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook