View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012

steel is on a distinguished road
Re: hand held radio for man overboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I have one of these (HX851):
Welcome to StandardHorizon.com
Has GPS with DSC so using that with your on board VHF (with DSC) they will know where you are.
That looks like a good choice, having the GPS and location transmitting functions. I'm surprised I haven't seen more talk about carrying a radio like this. What good is an EPIRB if the crew on your boat doesn't even know that you're missing!

A VHF handheld will only work a 1/2 a mile away? No way! A 2W signal would probably work 15 miles over open water to a mast top antenna. VHF signals are well suited to these sorts of conditions.

It doesn't matter if the boat can see you. What matters is that you can see the boat that you fell off of and you can direct them back to your location. With DSC features, things are even better.

Why does everyone feel compelled to change the subject and talk about avoiding falling overboard? Yes, I know you shouldn't let yourself fall overboard, and I know that generally it is considered sure death. Why not use your time to go on a health forum and tell all the people who are getting cancer screenings that they need to work on better health and avoid all the toxins and modern medical practices which cause cancer?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook