SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 10-29-2012
scratchee

re: First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?

Alex,

I bought a Cal 2-27 back in March of this year. Though I learned to sail years ago, this is the first boat I've ever owned, skippered, and single-handed. Mine cost just a little more than the one you looked at, but it had a working Atomic 4.

We've really enjoyed this boat. It's simple, apparently bullet proof, and pretty nice in the interior compared to other boats I've seen in the same class. I love all the wood. I've told many people, "it's the perfect boat for us" (family of four, mostly new to sailing, not a lot of extra cash to throw around, etc.) It's a nice size for doing some overnighters while not being impossible to get in and out of our tight slip. That said, I would not be overly enthusiastic about getting one with an outboard. My own personal preference is to have an inboard, and not having one would be a show stopper for me (unless repairing the inboard worked out in the total dollars.)

As far as changing the name of a boat, my feeling would be to pick a new name, paint it on the transom, and do a dance on the fo'c'sle daring Neptune to do anything about it since it's your own damn boat and not his.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome