SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoboPops View Post
The last I had seen earlier was that Ms. Christian had been found in a survival suit but was unresponsive... I took that to mean to wait and there would be further information since that water is going to be cold and sometimes surprising recoveries occur. I'm praying for the best.

Yes, there is a saying in Emergency Medicine, "Nobody is dead until they are WARM and dead." It's likely they resuscitated her and managed to get her heart working for a while before resuscitation efforts were terminated.

I mention this because one of us might be at the scene of a cold water drowning where help is not immediately available (ie on our boats). If the drowned person is found, continue trying to get definitive help (get them to a hospital) and if the actually are pulse-less, keep them as cold as possible. People have been resuscitated hours after drowning in cold water.

Another update: There were no children aboard. From the Chronicle link above:
Simonin said the crew members are from all over the U.S. and range in age from 20 to 64. They are trained, experienced and paid sailors, she said. Most of the crew members were in Nova Scotia when the ship visited during this summerís tall ships festival, she added.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook