SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing Singled Handed & No Watch at Achor
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
Sailing Singled Handed & No Watch at Achor

I'm planing a trip out of Panama City, FL and sailing down the Caribbean chain. I hope to leave in the year 2014 for my long trip. Since, I (Snet. member advice) need a whole lot of prep. and all this will take (months) time, my adjusted sailing location will be to the Bahamas. Grenada will happen ... if & when I can get there.

Now, I did a search and read & downloaded the article on Single Handled Sailing.

I asking for some heads up information from other single handed sailors that sail in the FL & Caribbean area. I will be adding a radar reflector to my mast to be seen better. I have read that some of the latest radio's can track other ships when they transmit (I think I have that feature right). If I was still flying, I'd be able to track any aircraft when they had their transponder on; so this radio tracking feature is similair (I guess).

Things I read (listed just a few) --

* Don't anchor in a shipping lane area without a watch... will/ or could be run over.

** Try to make it to your next (planed route) stop with a suitable anchoring location.

*** If sleep is necessary, try to do so during the day and be awake at night when you are less visable.

Now, other tips too but wanted to list a few of them to gain information from other single handed sailors.

Almost forgot, wanted to get advice of what to do when the water was too deep to drop anchor. The boat would be a drift and subject to wind and current movement. Everyone that sails single handed will or can face a situation where they are dead tired; they have to rest (cat nap)... the sails are down, motor off and cannot anchor (too deep) and zzzzzzing away.

Again, just looking for heads up advice on what to do and what Not to Do !

Closing, asking this information to stay out of trouble (future trip); I'm new to long distance sailing, so, Please bear with me.

Avery

Last edited by HighFly_27; 11-05-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Correction of Times & Sailing Location
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook