SailNet Community - View Single Post - Halloween Hurricane
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Halloween Hurricane

Yes, I did a brief tour of all the Essington boatyards and no boats tipped over. I saw a couple boats with shredded biminis because the owners left them up. After Irene I had seen bent and twisted metal, but this time just shredded cloth. Several powerboats had canvas enclosing their cockpits and left it up, and from a distance they appeared to fare just fine. As long as all edges of the canvas were secure (and stayed that way), it appears that things did not get shredded.

Flood level did hit a record in Philadelphia, reaching 10.62'. Previous record was 10.5'. Irene hit 10.0', which was equal to what it hit during a Noreaster in April 2011. So the Delaware River flood in Philly was the highest ever, but not by much, and comparable to peak floods we see every few years. So all the docks that I saw did not float off their pilings. [EDIT: I should add that the next flood at ~2pm could go back to the same level.]

My own boat fared better than I expected. We had absolutely no topside leaks - nothing in the battery compartment, nothing in the bilge, nothing under the v-berth hatch. It was a different story for Irene, where despite taping a bunch of seams, I got enough water to kick the bilge pump on. It looks like the speaker I sealed up a month ago completely eliminated the prior leak problem.

I'm hoping that all of you have similarly good news.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 10-30-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook